if (M Mod 3 = 0) or (N Mod 3 = 0) answer is 2, I can only show how
make it)
P.S. Sorry for bad English.
Re: Correct idea is HERE
Posted by Genghy 3 May 2004 12:02
cannot get it....
Posted by Szabolcs Ivan 24 Nov 2005 23:13
BTW, you also need that if you have only one row or column, you can only take half of the stones
Posted by Igor E. Tuphanov 28 Jan 2006 08:16
Interesting. But I also can't proove it! How to get this idea more formally? Let's talk about this.

Thank you
Posted by Machvi 16 Apr 2007 22:13
if n or m is divided by 3 we can prove that we can leave only 3x3 stones. and than its easy to finish game with 2 stones.

assume that m is divided by 3.so we can divide rectangle into m/3 parts and reduce each's "n" to 3. than reduce m to 3 and we'll get cube with dimensions 3x3.

Edited by author 16.04.2007 22:24
Posted by tim9996 3 Nov 2008 19:44
I still can't get it,especially for your graph,I hope you can explain it more clear.
Thanks.
Posted by Chitanda Eru 31 Aug 2013 20:06
Here comes the proof of why you can't remove all stones but one if M or N is divisible by 3.
Let us paint all the grid nodes for which the sum of their coordinates is divisible by 3 ((x + y) mod 3 = 0) in red, all ones meeting the (x + y) mod 3 = 1 condition in green, and the rest in blue. Let us also denote the amount of stones placed in red, green and blue nodes as R, G and B respectively.
Obviously, each turn two stones lying on nodes of different colors turn into one stone lying on the third color. So, two of the R, G and B values get decreased by 1, and the third one gets increased by 1.
This process has an invariant: parities of (R - G), (R - B) and (G - B) don't change! At the start of the game with M or N being divisible by 3 R, G and B are equal. So all the three differences listed above stay even till the very end, and it's impossible to get the (1,0,0), (0,1,0) and (0,0,1) combinations of R,G,B, therefore the game can't be finished with only one stone. Q.E.D.
P.S. My English could have some flaws, i know.